Friday, May 14, 2010

Vanilla Blackberry Trifle

Hi!  I hope all of you moms out there had a great Mother's Day!  Mine was very nice.  My little guy started and ended my day with the sweetest words and best snuggles.  And in between we were able to spend time with my family.  It was a beautiful day and we had fun watching the kids run and play all afternoon.
And of course the meal was great.  Dad grilled, we had lots of yummy snacks, salads and of course dessert.  I surprisingly enough, had not put much thought into making a dessert and at the last minute decided to go with a trifle.
Do any of you make trifles very often?  I got this bowl a year or so ago and I love it.  You can throw all sorts of things together in it and it somehow manages to look pretty no matter what's inside.
I made a French Vanilla cake (with egg whites - trying to stay on the healthier side)
After the cake cooled slightly I spread a black raspberry jam over it like frosting and then I grated white chocolate over the whole thing.  After it was completely cool i cut the cake up into very small squares.
I layered the cake with a vanilla pudding mixture...
And topped it off with more pudding, grated white chocolate and fresh blackberries.
Vanilla Blackberry Trifle
1 box French Vanilla Cake mix
(substituting 4 egg whites instead of 3 eggs)
Black Raspberry Jam
1 large box of  sugar free vanilla pudding
8 oz light cool whip
White Chocolate
Blackberries
Prepare cake as directed and pour into sheet cake pan.  Bake 20 minutes.  Let cake cool slightly.  Spread with jam.  Sprinkle white chocolate evenly over cake.  When completely cooled, cut into 2 inch squares.
In a medium bowl, mix pudding as directed and fold in Cool Whip. 
Layer cake square and pudding mixture - ending with the pudding on top.  Cover with white chocolate shavings.  Decorate with berries.
(*This tastes even better the next day!)


6 comments:

  1. Your trifle looks yummy! I love anything with berries in it! :) I'm glad you got to have a nice mommy's day with your little guy. Snuggles are the best - and its nice when you still get them when they are all grown. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful and I bet tastes even better!I like trifles for just that reason everything looks pretty in the bowl. I even bought mini trifle bowls. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid, I didn't know they made mini trifle bowls! Little treats are so fun! I'm gonna have to find me some of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this was delicious. I actually have a trifle bowl and have only used it two times! That's awful, isn't it?? You're right about how versatile trifles are. I really need to make them more often. Thanks for inspiring me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I really like the photo of those berries on top. And I love the dish too. I thought it was a phone at first. hahaha. just kidding. Anyway, If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!


    By the way, Foodista will be holding an International Food BLogger Conference, have you heard about it?

    ReplyDelete